Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

Rijskmuseum is national museum presenting Dutch art and history from the Middle Ages to the present day. Its rich collection consists of about one million artworks and historical objects, of which only eight thousand are being put to display. At four floors of an amazing old building visitors can admire not only some of the masterpieces by Rembrandt, Johannes Vermeer, Van Gogh et others, but also interesting objects presenting Dutch heritage and history. As such, it could be said, Rijksmuseum is a Dutch equivalent of English British Museum, French Louvre and Swiss Schweizerisches Nationalmuseum.

Rijksmuseum

Rijksmuseum is located at the Museumplain (eng. Museum Square) a square at the southern part of Amsterdam where some other major Amsterdam museums can be found (Van Gogh Museum & Stedelijk Museum). Because Rijksmuseum is one of the most famous museums in Amsterdam and it resides inside remarkable old building, it is not hard to find.

Museumplein is a large green space where many Amsterdam museum are located.

After paying the fee of 17,50 EUR visitors are allowed to enter Rijksmuseum building and explore museum’s collections. I wished to see as much as possible and it took me few hours to stroll through all four floors. My time was well spent. I enjoyed learning more about Dutch history and heritage, admiring architecture of beautiful old building and last, but not least, seeing some of the world’s best artworks.

Entrance ticket and museum plan

The history of Rijksmuseum is going back to 1800, when it was founded in Hague. Eight years later, in 1808 it moved to Amsterdam where it was first located in the Royal Palace and later in the Trippenhuis. In 1885 it moved to the building where it is today. Since then, Rijksmuseum went through some renovations. The latest one was completed in 2013, when museum opened its gates again after a ten-years of renovation.

Rijskmuseum building was designed by the architect Pierre Cuyper.

The collection narrates different episodes from Dutch history very well. Visitors can learn about Dutch domestic life through through different everyday objects people used to have in their homes, for instance interior decorations and furniture, doll houses etc.

Dolls houses were created during late 17th and early 18th century as a display models for wealthy Dutch ladies. Nowadays are a valuable source of information about the furnishing and use of Dutch houses in this period.

Dutch colonial past is presented through different objects from their colonies, weapons, letters, paintings, scale models, etc.

Display of Dutch colonial past

The objects are nicely displayed in a traditional way. As bland as this type of display might be for some visitors, I believe it is suitable for the traditional museum as is Rijksmuseum. Informative panels, leaflets and in some galleries even iPads are providing visitors with all the information needed to learn about the exhibited objects in different languages.

Objects at Rijksmuseum are exhibited in traditional way

Rijksmuseum’s most famous objects are Dutch Old Masters’ paintings. The most famous of them and to me, also the most remarkable, is Rembrandt van Rjin’s Night Watch. I was impressed by its colossal size, and the way how Rembrandt portrayed the different people using lights and shadows. It is indeed a masterpiece.

The central object of Rijksmuseum – The Night Watch

Unfortunately, as it is common with the most famous works of art, the room where the Night Watch is exhibited, was overcrowded at the time of my visit. It seemed to me, everyone who was at Rijksmuseum at that time, wanted to see it. It was almost as crowded as Mona Lisa in Louvre. Luckily, the Night Watch is much larger than Mona Lisa and can be observed from the distance.

Rembrandt’s painting The Night Watch

While waited for two tour-guided groups to move away from the Night Watch, I observed it from the distance. I found the information leaflets provided by the museum and took a look at one. While reading it while looking at the painting, I learned more about techniques Rembrandt used, the people he portrayed and other interesting facts about the painting. Though it wasn’t the most exciting education tool, it was very informative. I’ve learned a lot.

The Night Watch explained

Despite the paintings by the Old Dutch Masters were amazing, they were not my favourite part of the museum. The galleries where they are exhibited were far too crowded for one to fully enjoy their beauty. I was much more impressed by the collections of ship models and weapons located at the ground floor of the museum.

Display of the ship models

To sum up, my visit of Rijksmuseum was a great experience. As I expected, it is a good museum presenting Dutch history through rich collection of objects in a traditional way that hasn’t changed much through years. It might not be the museum where you would spend hours with your children – they would probably get bored very soon, but it is a museum where you would go to admire the beautiful objects and artworks from Dutch history. As such, it definitely met my expectations.

Vermeer’s Milkmaid

Rijksmuseum also met my expectations in terms of crowds wanting to see the most popular exhibits. As I expected, the Old Dutch Masters’s gallery was the most crowded part of the museum. But, people there were very polite. By the most popular paintings, as for instance the Milkmaid, almost everyone, took a look at the painting and moved, allowing other to take a look too. With little patience, you were still able to see all the paintings. Also, I didn’t feel disappointed by the Night Watch. To me, it is a masterpiece worth being a central object of the museum.

Rijksmuseum’s library is a stunning place

Practical Information:

• Admission Fee:
    – Adults: € 17.5
    – Youth aged 18 and under, Museumkaart holders, members of ICOM, ICOMOS, UNESCO, the Rembrandt Association (Vereniging Rembrandt), KOG, Vrienden van de Aziatische Kunst and Vrienden van het Rijksmuseum: free admission
  • Opening times: from 9:00 to 17:00, all days of the year
  • The Rijksmuseum is accessible to visitors with mobility impairments.

1,002 thoughts on “Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

1. johnliddlephotography says:

Hi Urska,
    Sounds like a must-see if visiting Amsterdam. I’ve seen travelling exhibitions of Dutch Masters’ works and can only imagine how impressive this Museum would be. The library is also very impressive. Thanks for sharing.
    John

• Urska says:

Hi John! Thanks for your comment. I loved Rijksmuseum, but I wouldn’t say, it’s a must see for everyone. Depends on person’s interests. For those who get easily bored in such type of traditional museums and are not too interested in Dutch history and art, I would rather suggest to skip it. But I think those who enjoy just admiring exhibits and are interested in Old Dutch Masters, would probably love Rijksmuseum as much as I did. 🙂

2. Catherine Sherman says:

Great photos and commentary! I visited this museum many years again after traveling all night on a ferry and train, so I barely remember it, because I was so tired. Your post reminds me of why I need to return! Thanks!

• Urska says:

Thank you Jo! “Work of art” is a excellent description of Rijksmuseum. The way exhibitions are implemented in space and how do they compliment the historical architecture and vice versa is great. 🙂 I think they did a good job with renovation. 🙂

3. hey says:

Taxi moto line
    128 Rue la Boétie
    75008 Paris
    +33 6 51 612 712

Taxi moto paris

It’s an awesome post designed for all the online users; they will obtain advantage from it I
    am sure.

4. gidrasajt4afnimb says:

gidrasajt4af.com являет собой платформер, что рассчитан для дилеров запрещенных товаров и спецуслуг. Схожую продукцию запрещается купить в рядовом интернет-магазине, поскольку это противозаконно.

5. gidrasajt4afnimb says:

gidrasajt4af.com являет собой платформер, который создан для продавцов подпольных товаров и услуг. Аналогичную продукцию запрещается найти в обычном магазине, так как это неправомерно.

6. Mortal Kombat 123Movies says:

Each Monday during the NBA season, All Tar Heels will review the prior week for each Tar Heel in the NBA and preview the week ahead. This week, we are looking at games from April 12-18 and looking ahead to games from April 19-25.

7. Mortal Kombat 123Movies says:

8. gidrasteer_com_nimb says:

Для твоей защищенности наша команда сделали данный портал на котором Вы ежедневно сможете владеть доступом к магазину торговой площадки <a href="http://naturestears.com/php/Test.php?a=http hydraruzxpnew4af onion market . Скопировать ссылку на hydra onion и надёжно совершить приобретение можно на просторах нашего сайта. В интернет паутине веб очень часто нарваться на мошенников и профукать личные средства.

9. hyrdaruzxpnew4afo_com_nimb says:

hydraruzxpnew4af hydra представляет собой шоп, который открыт для торговцев запрещенных товаров и услуг. Аналогичную услугу нереально достать в обыкновенном интернет-магазине, так как это нелегально.

10. hyrdasockets_com_nimb says:

Для Вашей безопасности наша команда сделали этот сайт на котором Вы каждодневно сможете владеть доступом к магазину торговой площадки hydraruzxpnew4af onion . Найти ссылку на гидру и надёжно сделать покупочку можно на просторах текущего блога. В интернет сети онлайн часто встретить преступников и просрать деньги.

11. hyrdasockets_com_nimb says:

Для Вашей анонимности мы создали этот портал на котором Вы что ни день сможете иметь доступ к магазину торговой платформы hydraruzxpnew4af onion com официальный сайт . Скопировать ссылку на hydra и неопасно совершить приобретение можно на просторах текущего ресурса. В интернет сети онион частенько обнаружить фишинг и продуть личные средства.

12. rusonion_org_nimb says:

hydraruzxpnew4af onion orders представляет из себя портал, что придуман для торговцев незаконных изделий и спецуслуг. Подобную услугу низзя достать в традиционном магазине, потому что это неправомерно.

13. hydrarzxepnew4af_com_nimb says:

Для осуществления заказов на Гидра онион hydraruzxpnew4af union в обход наш сайт в любой день принимает вдоволь клиентов. Для получения правильной гиперссылки, нужно кликнуть на кнопку и безопасно совершить заказ, а если Вы в 1-ый раз вошли на ресурс перед покупкой продукта нужно пройти регистрацию и пополнить счет. Ваша безопасность наша основная задача, которую мы с удовольствием исполняем.

14. hydrarzxepnew4af_com_nimb says:

Для осуществления заказов на торговой площадке hydraruzxpnew4af hydra этот ресурс в любой день принимает море посетителей. Для поиска проверенной ссылки, надо нажать на кнопку и анонимно совершить шопинг, а если Вы в впервые перешли на маркет перед покупкой продукта нужно авторизоваться и пополнить баланс. Ваша безопасность наша важнейшая обязанность, которую мы с честью исполняем.

15. gidrasajt4af_com_nimb says:

hydraruzxpnew4af ru — популярнейший крипто маркет в отечественном сегменте. Постоянно портал посещают около одного миллиона покупателей! Такой прогресс магазина не есть совпадением, магазин завоевал крутое признание покупателей как приличный и удачный ресурс. У гидры максимально роскошный интерфейс среди остальных магазинов похожей направленности, функционирует всегда активно и без падений. Какие-либо случаи заблокировать ресурс молниеносно улаживаются при помощи реализации сайта-зеркала.

16. gidrasajt4af_com_nimb says:

hydraruzxpnew4af onion market — это крупнейший темный магазин в СНГ пространстве. Постоянно его используют около 1 млн клиентов! Такой успех ресурса не может быть случайностью, магазин заслужил стальное мнение покупателей как безопасный и удачный ресурс. У hydra максимально внушительный сервис сравнительно остальных конкурентов такой же направленности, функционирует все время уверенно и без перебоев. Все попытки заблокировать маркет быстро решаются при помощи разработки сайта-зеркала.

17. hydraleto_com_nimb says:

Для совершения покупок на Hydra onion сайт hydraruzxpnew4af наш ресурс в любой момент посещают множество юзеров. Для поиска правильной ссылки, нужно тыкнуть на кнопку и беспалевно сделать закупку, а в случае если Вы в первый раз зашли на гидру перед заказом товара нужно авторизоваться и пополнить баланс. Ваша анонимность наша значимая обязанность, которую мы с честью исполняем.

18. Mariowaw says:

Рекомендуемая доза составляет 100 мг, в сутки можно принимать не более 1 таблетки. Доза кетоконазола и итраконазола при этом не должна левитра фото википедия превышать 200 мг. Что такое таблетки Левитра? Фармацевтическая промышленность разрабатывает препараты, помогающие преодолеть сексуальные проблемы. Г.М. Садыков Доставим в одну из 2349 аптек вашего региона Доставим в одну из 2349 аптек вашего региона Эти капсулы можно сказать спасли мою семейную жизнь. Когда возникли проблемы в отношениях с женой по поводу, что не могу удовлетворить её в постели, конечно переживал и думал, что всё пройдёт. На самом деле всё усугублялось и я почитав в интернете отзывы и состав о капсулах Потенциалекс оформил заказ и стал принимать их ежедневно по инструкции. Через 3 недели мужские силы вернулись. https://horsebacknoise.com/index.php?action=profile;area=forumprofile;u=84236 Таллину напомнили о существовании документа 300-летней давности о землях Прибалтики Рацион самураев. В Японии давно известно, что потенция мужчин повышается при включении в диету тертой редьки. Это блюдо обязательно входило в рацион самураев, которые должны были быть на высоте не только в бою. В последние годы японские ученые обнаружили такие же свойства у свеклы. Сексуальные проблемы в постели – трагедия для мужчины любого возраста. Народные средства для потенции – рецепты на основе трав и растений – способны восстановить силу полового влечения, повысить эрекцию. Какие эффективные методы лечения можно применить в домашних условиях, как правильно приготовить отвары и настои? Все это в обзоре природных помощников для возрождения мужской силы.

19. tadalafil with dapoxetine says:

I do not know whether it’s just me or if perhaps everyone else encountering problems with your website.

It appears as though some of the written text on your
    content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please comment and let me know if
    this is happening to them too? This might be a issue with
    my internet browser because I’ve had this happen before. Kudos http://cleckleyfloors.com/

20. Michael Harrington says:

Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is fundamental and everything.

However think about if you added some great photos or videos
    to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with pics and clips, this site could certainly be one of the most beneficial in its field.

Fantastic blog!

21. Joyce Smith says:

Hey would you mind letting me know which hosting company
    you’re using? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different internet
    browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.
    Can you suggest a good web hosting provider at a fair price?
    Thank you, I appreciate it!

22. Pattie Hoeber says:

I’ve been browsing online more than three hours as of late, yet I by no means
    discovered any interesting article like yours.
    It is lovely value sufficient for me. Personally, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did,
    the internet might be much more helpful than ever before.

23. Faith Conger says:

It’s perfect time to make a few plans for the future and it is time to be happy.
    I have learn this post and if I may just I desire to recommend you few fascinating things or
    tips. Perhaps you can write next articles relating
    to this article. I desire to read even more issues approximately
    it!

24. Karla Darland says:

It’s the best time to make a few plans for the
    future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this submit and if I may just I wish to suggest you
    few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you can write
    subsequent articles regarding this article. I wish to
    learn even more issues approximately it!

25. Maria Powell says:

An outstanding share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a friend who has been conducting
    a little homework on this. And he in fact ordered me breakfast due to the fact that I
    found it for him… lol. So let me reword this….

Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for
    spending time to talk about this subject here on your site.

26. Daniel Williams says:

I beloved up to you will obtain performed proper here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. however, you command get got an impatience over that you wish be handing over the following. in poor health definitely come further earlier once more since exactly the same just about very frequently inside of case you defend this hike.

27. Michael Klem says:

It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy.
    I’ve read this post and if I could I desire
    to suggest you some interesting things or advice.
    Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article.
    I wish to read more things about it!

28. Pingback: stromectol 1 gram
  29. apcalis online delivery canada says:

Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be
    on the net the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you,
    I definitely get annoyed while people consider worries that they
    plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and
    also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could
    take a signal. Will likely be back to get
    more. Thanks http://www.deinformedvoters.org/tadalafil-price

30. dose of dapoxetine for a man says:

Hello would you mind sharing which blog platform
    you’re working with? I’m going to start my own blog in the near future but I’m having a tough
    time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.

P.S Apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask! https://buszcentrum.com/priligy.htm

31. Pingback: deltasone for ear