Skiing in Flumserberg

One of the perks of living in Lucerne in Switzerland is the proximity of many great Alpine ski resorts. Previous Sunday I went to explore the slopes of one of those resorts Flumserberg.

One of Flumserberg’s black runs

Flumserberg is mid-sized resort located in the scenic mountains above Lake Walen (Walensee) between Zürich and Chur. Conveniently located app. 45 minutes from Zürich and easy accessible by car and public transport (train station is app. 200m from the cable car station) is very popular destination for skiing. On the busiest days of the year it can get really packed.

Busy day at Maschgenkamm (2020 m)

Our group arrived early enough to get the parking space at the Unterterzen parking space by the lower cable car station. The parking space there is limited and it filled soon after our arrival.

Parking space for skis

We changed to our ski gear and went to buy ski passes. There were only four windows open to sell tickets and a large group of people. No wonder, there was a long queue in front of all four windows. It took us app. 30 minutes to buy the tickets. I don’t know weather it was due to the slow service or due to slow costumers, it seemed like we had to wait for agres. Luckily, we didn’t have to to wait to get onboard of the gondola. We enjoyed the panoramic ride. Despite the cloudy weather were the views to the beautiful Lake Walen (Walensee) amazing.

Gondola from Unterterzen to Tannboden

After a short ride with relatively new 8-seat gondola we arrived to Tannboden, where we’ve took the other older and smaller gondola to get to the upper part of the ski area – Maschgenkamm at 2020 meters above sea level. This gondola was super slow, but at least it gave us more time to enjoy beautiful views to the ski area and the mountains.

One of the red runs

Due to the high temperatures the snow conditions weren’t perfect. When we started skiing the slow spring snow was still ok, but later in the afternoon when the temperatures reached its hight, snow became slushy. At the some of the slopes it got piled at the certain places and packed down at others. With all the crowds on the piste it was rather challenging to ski.

After a cloudy morning, we had warm cloudless sunny afternoon

The Flusmerberg ski area is interwoven with the well-linked network of slopes and lifts what I really liked. 65 kilometes of pistes stretching at the altitude from 1220 m to 2222m can be skied. Most of them are appropriate for intermediate skiers, but there is also a nice variety of blue slopes ideal for the beginners. We haven’t skied the whole area, but the pistes we did, were well prepared considering the high temperatures.

Winter wonderland

The infrastructure is a mix of modern and old lifts and gondolas. Likewise the selling points, it doesn’t really cope well with the masses of skiers. Some of the lifts were super slow and could only transfer a limited amount of skiers. At the busiest lift we had to wait for app. 20 minutes to get to the top of the mountain!

Some of the lifts were very busy

I didn’t expect Flumserberg to be the best ski resort I’d ever visit, but considering its popularity with the people living in Zürich I expected to be better. I thought it would have better infrastructure and would cope with the crowds better. The price of ski pass is a bit high for what this resort is offering – especially if you compare with other ski resorts in Switzerland. However, the slopes were nice to ski, the landscape was beautiful and I enjoyed the company of my skiing companions. All in all, it was a good day.

Lovely views from Leist – the highest point of Flumersberg ski area (2222 m)

PRACTICAL INFORMATION

How to get to Flumserberg:

• By car:  Take A3 in direction of Chur/Zürich.
    For parking at Unterterzen, take the exit Walenstadt and follow the signs. For parking at Flums or Flumserberg, take the exit Flums.
  • By public transport: Take the regional train from Ziegelbrücke to Unterterzen or post bus from Sargans to Flumserberg.

Expenses:

• Day ski pass: 62 CHF + 5 CHF refundable deposit for ski card
  • Parking fee at Unterterzen: 6 CHF/day

FARAWAY FILES FIVE BADGE with map

4,867 thoughts on “Skiing in Flumserberg

1. SueT唐 梦 琇 says:

OM Goodness…stunning photos…wow people like me who live in Australia only dream of living in Lucerne…thank you so much for a fabulous post with matching photos… must say the crowds in this beautiful place look too long…The lake view is beautiful.

• Urska @ Slovenian Girl Abroad says:

Thank you dear. Its interesting, how do we all strive for something we don’t have. I sometimes wonder how it would be living in the land down under. 😉
      Re. crowds at Flumserberg, definitely we went there on one of the busiest days. Too many people for my taste. 🙂

2. pottyadventures says:

You’re so lucky living so close to these ski resorts. It’s a shame the afternoon conditions meant the snow turned a little slushy…but it’s a great excuse for some early apres ski. Thanks for joining us on #adventurecalling . I hope you can again when we open again tomorrow morning.

3. Lauren - The Helpful Hiker says:

I’m always a bit jealous when I see your photos of all the amazing places that are so close to you. I’m not a skier, but the landscapes always look so beautiful. I’m quite tempted to give it a go at least once just so I can see some of these amazing places!

4. Clare Thomson says:

Your beautiful snowy landscapes always make me long to go skiing, Urska – it’s been so many years since I was on the slopes. That said, I don’t much fancy the queues for the lifts and ski passes here so thanks for sharing that with us on #FarawayFiles

• Urska - Slovenian Girl Abroad says:

Ohhh, so nice to hear that. 🙂 Yeah, sadly at some places, on sunny winter weekends, queues are unavoidable part of skiing experience. But luckily there are always some less busy alternatives available… at least here in Switzerland. 😉

5. Hilary says:

I grew up Skiing every weekend, but haven’t been sin years. I wonder if I’d even remember how? The lines may have been long but the scenery was stunning! #farawayfiles

6. hey says:

Taxi moto line
    128 Rue la Boétie
    75008 Paris
    +33 6 51 612 712

Taxi moto paris

Howdy! This article couldn’t be written any better!

Going through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!

He continually kept talking about this. I am going to forward this information to him.
    Pretty sure he will have a great read. Thank you for sharing!

7. ikan asin says:

After I initially left a comment I appear to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added-
    checkbox and now every time a comment is added I get 4 emails with the same comment.
    Perhaps there is a means you are able to remove me from that service?
    Thanks a lot!

8. iNstagram beğeni hilesi says:

I am no longer sure where you are getting your information, but good topic.
    I needs to spend a while studying much more or working out more.
    Thank you for wonderful info I used to be searching for this information for my
    mission.

9. Ambrose says:

Hey! I know this is somewhat off-topic however I had to ask.
    Does building a well-established blog like yours require a large amount of
    work? I’m completely new to blogging however I do write in my journal daily.
    I’d like to start a blog so I can share my own experience and thoughts online.
    Please let me know if you have any kind of suggestions or
    tips for brand new aspiring blog owners. Appreciate it!

10. Gracie says:

Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It actually was once a entertainment account it.

Look complicated to far brought agreeable from you!
    By the way, how can we keep up a correspondence?

11. Kevin Lewis says:

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is
    time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or suggestions.
    Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article.
    I desire to read more things about it!

12. Kristine Couvillion says:

Hey there would you mind letting me know which hosting
    company you’re using? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different web
    browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most.
    Can you recommend a good hosting provider at a fair
    price? Many thanks, I appreciate it!

13. Martin Villarreal says:

I have been browsing online greater than three hours
    nowadays, but I never found any fascinating article like yours.

It’s lovely value enough for me. Personally, if all webmasters and bloggers made
    good content material as you probably did, the net can be much more helpful
    than ever before.

14. Michael Mason says:

I have been surfing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like
    yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.